north carolina highway historical marker program
North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program
 

 
 
 

ID:

Marker Text:

Essay:
     In 1774 a group of six men conveyed a parcel of land near Lincolnton to the united congregations of Lutherans and Dutch Presbyterians (Reformed) in the area. Since 1768 these men had owned the property on which a school was being operated. It is possible that the congregations were meeting in the schoolhouse during this period. In fact the church, once constructed, was known as School House Church until 1830, at which time it was named Daniels Church.

     The first church on the property was a log structure, which remained in use until 1845. The subsequent frame building was utilized until 1888 by the two congregations. At that time the Lutherans build a separate brick church which was dedicated in 1889. The Reformed brethren continued to use the older church until 1894, when they left the property and built and new chapel elsewhere.

     Reverend J. G. Arndt (Arends) attended the congregations from 1785 until his death in 1807. During this period he was living in Lincoln County, charged with administering to all of North Carolina’s Lutheran churches west of the Catawba River. Andrew Loretz served as the first German Reformed pastor, from 1786 until his death in 1812. The 1889 church building is still in use by the present congregation of Daniel’s Lutheran Church.


References:
Jacob L. Morgan and others, eds., History of the Lutheran Church in North Carolina (1953)
William L. Sherrill, Annals of Lincoln County, North Carolina (1967)
Location: County:

Original Date Cast:

 

HOME Home

 

north carolina highway historical marker program


© 2008 North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources