north carolina highway historical marker program
North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program
 

 
 
 

ID:

Marker Text:

Essay:
     Stewartsville Cemetery was founded in the Scotland County community of the same name in 1785. It was incorporated in 1913 by twenty-three residents of Scotland and Robeson counties. In 1965 the cemetery was restored by the Laurinburg Junior Chamber of Commerce and the Stewartsville Cemetery Board of Trustees.

     Among those buried there are some of the pioneer Scottish immigrants who were influential in that area of the state. Lauchlin McLaurin, founder of Laurinburg, was buried there in 1868 after being killed by lightning. The cemetery is also the site of the burial plot of the first pastor of Bethel Presbyterian Church (founded in 1776), the Reverend Colin Lindsay, who died in 1817.

     The eight-acre cemetery is located on land that at one time was thought to have belonged to Congressman James Stewart, who was buried there following his death in late 1821. While Stewart lived nearby and is certainly buried there, he would have been only ten years old when the cemetery was established. Apparently the original deed for the cemetery was lost and the eight acres were donated in two parcels by John and Henry Malloy. The Stewartsville cemetery was eventually divided by race into three sections. There was a white section, largely Scottish immigrants and their descendants, as well as African-American and Indian sections. The white section is separated from the black one by a low chain-link fence, while the Indian section is set apart from the black section by small concrete boundary posts.


References:
Laurinburg Exchange, May 3, 1967, and December 1, 1997
Angus W. McLean, et al., Lumber River Scots and Their Descendants: The McLeans, the Torreys, the Purcells, the McIntyres, the Gilchrists (1942)
Annabella Bunting MacCallum MacElyea, The MacQueens of Queensdale: A Biography of Col. James MacQueen and His Descendants (1916)

Location: County:

Original Date Cast:

 

HOME Home

 

north carolina highway historical marker program


© 2008 North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources